Giselle’s famous apple cobbler
RECIPE BY: Giselle Trujillo
NOTES: I have modified the original peach cobbler recipe. I originally made my cobbler with peaches from our backyard, however, the deer began eating our peaches and I was left with very little ripe peaches. I also put in less sugar than original recipe called for, more freshly squeezed lemon juice, more cinnamon and I changed to my own secret ingredient, which I will share with you. So, I modified to apples and it has been my go to dish to bring to any invites and one of the desserts expect from me. Always a request. Honestly, if you follow my every step, everyone will love inviting you too. I promise you it is sooooo delicious!
HISTORY OF THIS CAKE: According to my research, “Cobbler cake” is of British and American origin. Cobbler happen due to lack of ingredients, hence it’s so simple to assemble.
DIET: Not Vegan. Includes butter, milk and eggs.
Peaches – 8 regular sized and ripe organic peaches
Apples – 6 regular sized organic apples
Blueberries – 4 cups of organic blueberries
PREPERATION TIME: 35 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 – 55 minutes
SERVINGS: 12 generous pieces
RECOMMENDED PAN SIZE: Glass 9 x 13 inches (rectangular)
INGREDIENTS: (10) total
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, I eye it
- Ground cinnamon to liking (I put a generous, about 2 tablespoons).
- Half of a freshly squeezed lemon.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of milk
HEAT OVEN: 350 degrees
01. Wash your apples with vinegar solution really well.
02. Peel 4 apples, leave 2 apples unpeeled.
03. Thinly slice your apples vertically in 1 inch length slices, thin slices.
04. Once you have cut all your apples, place them in a deep pan, like boiling potatoes.
05. Turn your oven on at 350 degrees, place the butter inside the pan and place inside the oven to melt and let butter melt to a medium gold brownish, do not burn the butter.
06. You will now sauté your apples at medium fire, in the lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar, when all ingredients become one, turn heat off and let rest, while you make batter.
07. Now let’s mix the dry ingredients in a round glass or plastic semi deep bowl
08. Pour the flour.
09. Add the baking powder.
10. Add the salt.
11. Add the sugar.
12. Mix your dry ingredients well by hand using a fork or handheld mixer.
13. Once your dry ingredients are well incorporated, you can now add your wet ingredients.
14. Now, add the egg.
15. Add the milk.
16. Mix all ingredient by hand for about 3 minutes.
17. By now your oven should be ready and the butter is completely melted.
18. Wear heat resisted gloves to take the butter pan out, let it rest for a minute.
19. Now let’s assemble our cobbler!
20. Pour your cake batter into the center of the buttered pan, do not mix, do not spread, do not touch the batter at this point.
21. With a large spoon, begin by spreading your sautéd apple mix in the middle on top of batter, to do not touch, simply pour little by little your apples all around the batter, covering the batter in apples. Do not get templed to fix your apples, what makes a cobbler so unique is the way the ingredient are poured.
22. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. I usually let it bake till the edges and batter are nice and golden.
23. After cake is completely baked, make sure to let the cake rest and cool down before cutting.
24. Enjoy your cake with cup of coffee to hot tea. It is delicious! Bon appetite!
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE??? COMMENT ON OUR PAGE at #WATWP! We want to know if you liked this recipe and how your cobbler came out.